Our expertise is your opportunity.
O | Tax Recruiting Verticals:
Corporate Tax – tax compliance focused positions oversee the preparation and completion of tax reporting documents at the local, state and federal levels. Show Responsibilities
- Preparing and reviewing work-papers and returns (Form 1120, Form 1120-S, Form 1120-C) for federal, state, and foreign tax obligations ensuring compliance with tax laws. Large Corporation required Tax Filings.
- Collaborating with tax accounting team to assist with, summarize, and communicate permanent, deferred, equity, and payable tax amounts
- Researching and analyzing the impact of federal, state, and foreign income tax law changes to the enterprise
- Prepare supporting memos for federal, state, and foreign tax positions as required
- Responsibilities: preparation of Corporate Tax Returns for C-Corps and S-Corps
Evolution of corporate tax (and as a result – the new complexity of a tax career)
- Responsibilities: preparation of Partnership Tax Returns for Partnerships (IRS Tax Form 1065, K-1 Schedules, etc.)
- Typically applicable to professional services (Global Consulting Firms, Law Firms, etc.) and alternative investment space (Private Equity, Hedge Funds, Venture Capital (VC) Firms) – reasoning: these aforementioned industries typically have an ownership structures with “Partners” – each owing a slice of the company & possessing unique profit payout arrangements – hence the need for individual K-1 filings for each partner, adding interesting complexity to each tax return.
- Responsibilities: preparation of Individual Tax Returns (IRS tax form 1040s)
- Preparation of 1040s for “High Net Worth Individuals” can be very involved and include additional tax filing requirements for Trust, Estates, Partnership Holdings and more
Tax Accounting / Tax Reporting – professionals should be knowledgeable of the components and calculations of the effective tax rate and deferred taxes pursuant to ASC 740 (formerly FAS 109). This area of tax specialty is typically applicable to publicly traded / larger companies.
- Computing current and deferred tax provision and liabilities on previously identified book-tax differences
- Analyzing new transactions to determine potential book-tax differences and other related tax accounting treatments
- Monitoring new Accounting policies and pronouncements to determine proper tax treatment of such new emerging issues
- Assisting in preparation of separate entity Annual Report (10K) tax footnotes as applicable
Tax Strategy & Planning / M&A Tax Support – typically requires a JD / LLM in Taxation – focuses on assisting larger & very complex multi-national corporations with tax strategy advice. (i.e., how to pay the least amount of taxes possible while staying within IRS rules)
- Serve in advisory capacity to management regarding the tax impact of corporate tax strategies, new tax liabilities, and tax implications of merger and acquisition scenarios
- Managing relationships with third party vendors, preparing and reviewing tax provision schedules, maintaining legislative materials by reviewing, interpreting and implementing new or revised tax laws
- Utilize Tax Transfer Pricing strategies on various cross-border business transactions
- Career track is focused on resolving disputes between IRS and Tax Payers (Corporations, Partnerships, Individuals). This is often following an IRS Audit. While some large multi-national companies have internal tax controversy experts on-staff; this work is typically performed as part of a legal tax team (working for a law firm) or large public accounting firm’s tax controversy group.
- Example: Tax Controversy and Dispute Resolution Team at PwC
Helpful Designations & Degree Programs for Taxation Careers:
- EA (Enrolled Agent) – Enrolled Agent status is the highest credential the IRS awards. See IRS process for EA Certification here
- JD / LLM – this is more applicable towards tax planning careers (vs. tax compliance / tax reporting)
- MST (Masters of Science in Taxation) – Origin’s top local programs include: Bentley University MST Program (either Part Time or Full Time); Suffolk University MST Program (includes Dual MSA / MST + MBA / MST Degrees); Northeastern University MS in Taxation Program – includes online course options
O | Representative Direct Hire Tax Searches:
Tax Analyst, Senior Tax Analyst, Tax Supervisor, Tax Manager, Tax Compliance Manager, Tax Planning Senior Manager, International Tax Manager, Senior Tax Manager – Tax Accounting (ASC 740), Tax Director, VP of Tax / Head of Tax
7-Step Origin Staffing Candidate Process
Results are achieved by understanding the “why”. Details matter. Let’s partner up & get it done.
- Introductory Call / Meeting
- Resume Strategy
- Determining search parameters
- Origin Staffing will only show you opportunities within set parameters. We always present the whole story behind the openings – including describing the company’s business infrastructure / future growth plans, reason for opening, team structure, general compensation & benefits info, job description and most importantly any specific color on the opportunity directly from the hiring manager.
- We NEVER send your resume to any companies until we receive your permission – “Green light with interest to pursue”
- Every company has a different interview process – some just want to get to know you, some will grill you on a technical level, some expect you to know specifics about them, some have deal breaker parameters not shown on the job description. This is only on a company level. Then each interviewer has their own style.
- We’ll prep you to help navigate this minefield, and make sure you make a great 1st, 2nd and sometimes 3rd impression.
- On the other side – most interviews are very informational in nature – hence we’ll help you fine-tune the appropriate questions to ask (and sometimes most importantly to avoid) to get the information necessary to make the right decision @ the end of an interview process.
- This happens early in the process, in the middle of interviewing, and at the “decision step”. Origin Staffing is incentivized to make sure you are excited about an offer package.
- References, Giving Notice, Background Checks, taking time off in between positions, making the right 1st impression with the new company. All of these steps can be tricky to navigate – we’ll be there by your side offering support & guidance.
- Over 80% of our business is from referrals – we’d love to stay in touch long term & be your “Go To” recruiting agency in Boston for the remainder of your career. Your professional interests will evolve over the years and we’ll be there to support you.
- Additionally, as you progress your career and have direct reports to hire, we’ll be there to fill out your team with top talent.